How To Choose The Best Healthy Cat Food
Always read the ingredient label when deciding what kind of healthy food to feed your cat and avoid purchasing brands that include the following:
- Corn, corn meal, corn gluten, and anything corn-related (cats have not evolved to eat corn).
- Potatoes, wheat, or rice (cats have not evolved to eat potatoes, wheat, or rice).
- Soy: has been found to cause pet food allergies.
- Wheat and wheat gluten, cellulose/powdered cellulose, and any by-products: all fillers to avoid.
- BHA (Butylated Hydroxyanisole), BHT (Butylated Hydroxytoluene), or Ethoxyquin: chemical preservatives known to cause cancer in humans and animals.
- Any “natural”/artificial flavors or colorings.
- Carrageenan and guar gum.
As a general rule, the first 5 ingredients of your cat food should always be a protein, and not include any of the ingredients listed above. Also be sure to check that no more than 10% of the food’s calories are coming from carbohydrates. Grain free cat food is best, and make sure cranberries are included on the ingredient list as they help support your cat’s urinary tract.
Finding the right healthy cat food can be tricky, but with these tips, you’re well on your way to helping your favorite feline enjoy the best diet possible!